Vasilia Wilkes is a senior attorney in the Houston office of Cooper & Scully. She started practicing law in 2005 and began her legal career in Beaumont, Texas defending companies and individuals in premises liability, products liability, and personal injury claims. Vasilia’s practice focuses on insurance coverage and defense, including complex bad-faith litigation involving general liability, environmental pollution, uninsured/underinsured motorist, and commercial automobile and property insurance. This includes all aspects of pre-suit resolution, coverage analysis, examinations under oath, and litigation of insurance coverage and bad faith claims in the context of bodily injury, property damage, construction defect, theft, fire/arson, mold and storm losses. Vasilia has also worked as in-house coverage counsel for a Texas-based property insurance company, giving her invaluable knowledge to assist carriers with disputes in the region.
Mrs. Wilkes received her Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy with a minor in Spanish from The University of Texas at Austin and her J.D. from St. Mary's University School of Law.
Vasilia was selected as a Rising Star by Texas Super Lawyers for 2012 - 2017 and again in 2020.
J.D., St. Mary's University School of Law, 2005
B.A., The University of Texas, 2002
Top Women Attorneys in Texas, as featured in Texas Monthly magazine, 2020, 2021
Texas Rising Star by Super Lawyers®, a Thomson Reuters business, as featured in Texas Monthly and Texas Rising Stars magazines, 2011-2016, 2020
St. Mary’s University School of Law Order of the Barristers, Spring 2005
Selected as the Outstanding Woman Law Graduate of St. Mary’s University School of Law by the National Association of Women Lawyers, Spring 2005
Certified Mediator, Spring 2005
State Bar of Texas
Houston Bar Association, Special Olympics Committee Member, 2011-2018
• Obtained complete defense verdict in arson insurance case in the Northern District of Texas
• Obtained two defense verdicts in personal injury, 3rd party cases in Jefferson County, Texas
• Obtained complete dismissal of premises liability claims involving utility easement/right of way via traditional summary judgment
• Obtained complete dismissal of premises liability claims involving apartment complex shooting of tenant via traditional summary judgment
• Obtained summary judgment in favor of subcontractor defending personal injury claims at oil field/construction site based on Owner Controlled Insurance Program
• Obtained five figure appraisal resolution for carrier in North Texas commercial wind/hail claim where insured was seeking millions of dollars in claimed damages